– by Tampa Personal Injury Attorney, Martin J. Hernandez
Tampa Bay Area Personal Injury Lawyer
The auto accident and wrongful death attorneys at the Fernandez & Hernandez know what to do to help you and your family following any kind of accident.
Fernandez & Hernandez is a well-known personal injury law firm located in Tampa, Florida that represents clients in all types of accident, injury, and wrongful death claims. We give each client the attention and guidance needed to obtain the compensation they deserve. Our Tampa Bay personal injury lawyers help clients in all phases of injury and wrongful death claims from initial investigation through trial and appellate proceedings.
Distracted Driving Facts:
Distracted driving is any activity that diverts attention away from the primary task of driving. Approximately 50,000 lives were lost on U.S. roads in 2017.
- 10% of fatal crashes and 15% of injury crashes are distraction-affected.
- Distracted driving crashes are under-reported and it is estimates that cell phone use alone accounts for 27% car crashes.
- In 2017, approximately 5,000 people were killed and an estimated 500,000 injured in crashes involving distracted drivers.
- The fatal crash rate for teens is 3 times greater than for drivers age 20 and over.
- Driver distraction is responsible for more than 58% of teen crashes.
Three types of distractions:
Traffic safety experts classify distractions into three main types: Manual, Visual and Cognitive.
- Manual distractions are those where you move your hands from the wheel.
- Visual distractions are those where you focus your eyes away from the road.
- A cognitive distraction is when you’re mind wanders away from the task of driving.
Texting involves all three types of distraction.
Cell Phone Use:
- People are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit of 0.08%.
- Cell phone users are approximately 6 times more likely to get into an accident than undistracted drivers.
- Text messaging increases the risk of crash or near-crash by 23 times.
- Sending or reading a text message takes your eyes off the road for about 5 seconds, long enough to cover a football field while driving at 55 mph.
Drivers are not taking this seriously enough:
- Over 80% of drivers recognize the danger from cell phone distractions and find it “unacceptable” that drivers text or send email while driving. Nevertheless, more that 30% of these same people admit to having read or sent a text message or e-mail while driving.
It is illegal to text and drive but unfortunately this irresponsible behavior still occurs and can have dire consequences. When someone gets behind the wheel while texting, that person is not only endangering themselves but also the lives and safety of others. These reckless actions should not be ignored, especially when they are the cause of injury to someone else. If you have been the victim of an accident at the hands of a distracted driver it is crucial that you seek out an attorney who can represent you.
Getting injured by a distracted driver may lead to physical and emotional pain, disabilities, lost wages, high medical bills, and property damages. The right attorney can help you receive the compensation you deserve for the misfortunes you endure.
Distracted driving is a serious matter and if you suffered from someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation. The Personal Injury and wrongful death attorneys at the Fernandez & Hernandez know what to do to help you and your family following an accident caused by a distracted driver. We will not hesitate to bring your case to a trial by jury. The personal injury attorneys at Fernandez & Hernandez have the skills necessary to discover the facts and apply the relevant law to the facts.
An experienced attorney can help with your case, offer advice, and retrieve the maximum compensation for the injuries and damages you sustained. It is critical to be aware of statutes of limitations, which are strict restrictions on how long an injured person may wait to file a claim or lawsuit against a wrongdoer. In Florida, to be eligible for PIP medical benefits under the law, persons injured in a motor vehicle accident must seek initial services and care from specified providers within Fourteen Days after the motor vehicle accident. See § 627.736(1)(a), Florida Statutes.
Contact a personal injury attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and decide whether you need legal representation. A personal injury attorney could mean the difference between getting a settlement that barely covers your expenses or a settlement or verdict that pays all of your bills and allows you to get back to living your life.
At Fernandez & Hernandez, we understand that being seriously injured or suffering the sudden loss of a loved one is a traumatic and life changing event. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured by a distracted driver in the Tampa Bay area contact a personal injury lawyer at Fernandez & Hernandez to schedule a free consultation.
Call Tampa Personal Injury Attorney, Martin J. Hernandez of Fernandez & Hernandez at 813.755.9500 or read more at: InjuryLawyersOfTampa.com
#GetLawyeredUpNow #DUI #Tampa #Attorney #Lawyer #Accident