How many auto accidents were there in Florida?
Each year, Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles compiles a Traffic Crash Statistics Report. The most recent report was issued in October 2016 and it records the 2015 Traffic Crash Statistics. Although the statistics decreased from the previous year, the results are still astounding:
- There were 2,939 crash fatalities.
- Over 1,500 of those fatalities are passengers in a car.
- Speeding was a factor in approximately 1,022 fatal crashes. That’s almost one-third!
- Alcohol was a factor in 1,004 fatal crashes. Again almost one-third!
- As a result of auto accident crash deaths, the medical and work loss costs in the state of Florida amount to $3.16 billion! (www.cdc.gov)
Tampa Auto Injury Attorneys
If you have an injury due to an auto accident in Tampa or in any other place in Florida, including the cities of Tampa, Brandon, Riverview, Temple Terrace, you need to contact a car accident lawyer from Fernandez and Hernandez Law as soon as possible.
Auto accidents happen every day and either you or a loved one are likely to be involved in at least one auto accident during your lifetime. These unfortunate statistics are created every day. Sometimes these car accidents are caused by the negligence of the other driver, leaving you as the victim. It seems like with more vehicles, bad roads, constructions, texting, distracted driving, alcohol, etc these accidents will only increase. In addition to the emotional shock that car accidents cause, car accidents can also result in major injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury or TBI, spinal cord injuries or even death. Injuries from an auto accident can be devastating producing physical pain and suffering and may have a long-term financial impact.
If the accident resulted in a death, family members of the deceased may want to file a wrongful death lawsuit to get compensation for their loss, grief, and pain. In an unfortunate situation like this one, a knowledgeable Tampa car accident attorney from Fernandez and Hernandez Law can help.
What is considered negligence in an auto accident?
The following factors may be considered negligence in an auto accident:
- The Driving Speed: A person driving either too fast or too slow may cause an accident.
- Drunk Driving (DUI)
- Failure to observe traffic ordinances such as stop signs, red traffic lights, and other traffic signs
- Reckless or careless driving
- Failure to use headlights
- Text messaging or talking on a cell phone
Safe Driving Tips
With all of the traffic and tourists in Tampa, Florida, trying to avoid auto accidents can be difficult. Practicing safe driving can greatly decrease your chances of being involved in an auto accident. Below are some safe driving tips that every driver should be aware of:
- Always be alert!—avoid driving when tired to keep from dozing off at the wheel and losing control of your vehicle.
- Maintain your focus, NO CELL PHONES—people who talk on cell phones while driving are four times more likely to have an accident.
- Be aware of severe weather conditions!—Florida is known for its unpredictable weather. Sudden weather changes have the potential of making driving conditions very different.
- Avoid driving in heavy storms and be cautious of high winds. If you must drive, decrease your speed.
- Drive slow in foggy weather, keep your lights on low beam and be wary of vehicles and pedestrians that you may not be able to see.
- Always use your turn signals.
- Avoid tailgating— In the event that a car has to stop suddenly, driving too closely behind a vehicle can result in a rear-end collision.
- Try not to cut in front of vehicles—cutting in front of vehicles can cause serious and sometimes fatal auto accidents.
- Avoid driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol—alcohol impairs one’s ability to make split-second decisions and can negatively affect one’s ability to judge distances when driving.
- Be aware of other cars on the road—while you may be practicing safe driving, other drivers may not. It is important that you always remember you are not the only car on the road.
Unfortunately, even the safest drivers may find themselves involved in an auto accident. If that driver is you, or a loved one, call us and consider it done! Contact our Tampa car accident lawyers for a no-cost evaluation of your case.
What is Florida’s ‘No-Fault’ Law?
Florida drivers (except motorcyclists) are required to carry car insurance, but what do these insurance plans actually cover? Florida Statute § 627.730, commonly referred to as the ‘No-Fault’ Law, controls auto accidents in the State of Florida. This law provides that if you are involved in an auto accident your insurance company will cover your medical bills and lost wages up to a certain amount, regardless of who was at fault. If the other party was at fault and caused the car accident, you may only sue them if you meet certain threshold requirements including, but not limited to, significant or permanent loss of a major bodily function, disfigurement or significant scarring, some forms of permanent injury or death. (Florida Statute § 627.737(2)).
Bodily injury coverage is optional in Florida. If you or a loved one are injured in a car accident and the at-fault driver does not carry any automobile insurance or has insufficient coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage can protect you. Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) bodily injury coverage can cover different expenses including, but not limited to medical bills and lost wages. UM coverage is highly recommended and drivers should be sure that each car in their household is covered.
What Should You Do If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident in Tampa?
Whether you are a driver, passenger or a pedestrian, being involved in an auto accident is a traumatic, life-altering event. In a split-second, victims are faced with an injury, mounting medical bills, questions concerning liability, insurance, and property damage and the prospect of legal action against those who caused the car accident. Accidents may be so severe that drivers may face vehicular manslaughter charges. Knowing what to do ahead of time can make the legal process run much more smoothly.
What to do after a Tampa car accident?
- Try to get the contact information from anyone that was involved or witnessed the auto accident.
- Collect the insurance information from all parties involved in the car accident. This includes insurance companies and insurance policy numbers.
- Collect the vehicle information of all the vehicles involved in the accident.
- Take photographs or draw a diagram of the accident scene and write a detailed description of the auto accident. This can be helpful when proving your accident claim.
- Call the Police, and make sure to get a copy of the police report.
- See a doctor.
- Even if you feel alright or you do not believe that you need a doctor, keep in mind that some injuries take time to present themselves. The Florida auto accident attorneys at Fernandez and Hernandez Law advise all of our clients to see a physician as soon as possible after an auto accident.
- Keep track of your damages.
- If you are unable to attend work, make note of how many days you have missed, keep a log of all extra expenses incurred due to any injuries and save all of your medical bills.
- Contact a Florida Auto Accident Lawyer at Fernandez and Hernandez Law.
The Tampa auto accident attorneys at Fernandez and Hernandez Law are well versed in the complicated procedures surrounding auto accident claims. Do not call just any car accident attorney in Florida; contact Fernandez and Hernandez Law. Call us and consider it done. We can be reached at our offices 7 days a week at 813-229-5353. You may also fill out the online form located on this page or email us at email@example.com.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney at Fernandez and Hernandez Law in Tampa, Florida.
Many personal injury law firms only take cases in which liability is clear and there is a catastrophic injury due to a car accident. This is not the case with Fernandez and Hernandez Law. Whether your case is a terrible one involving a traumatic head injury, other horrible injuries or even death, or whether it is a relatively minor fender bender which is causing you some relatively minor pain, a Tampa auto injury attorney from our Law Firm is available and able to assist you.
Our Law Firm’s philosophy is that no case is too small or too complex and that every client deserves the very best representation. Our personal injury attorney team has handled thousands of auto accident cases involving injuries and have the experience to help you and to work towards seeking the maximum recovery for your damages. Call us and consider it done.