Each year, Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles compiles a Traffic Crash Statistics Report. The Report summarizes traffic crash facts and statistics for the previous year. Here are some numbers from 2019:
- There were 3,185 crash fatalities
- More than 152,000 injury crashes
- Speeding was a factor in approximately 2,412 crashes. That’s about 75 percent!
- Alcohol was a factor in 4,984 crashes
- As a result of auto accident injuries and deaths, the medical and work loss costs in the state of Florida amount to $3.16 billion!
Tampa Auto Injury Attorneys
If you have an injury due to an auto accident in Tampa or in any other place in Florida, including the cities of Brandon, Riverview, Temple Terrace, you need to contact a car accident lawyer Martin J. Hernandez, Esq. as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, auto accidents happen every day and either you or a loved one are likely to be involved in at least one auto accident in your lifetime. These unfortunate statistics are created every day.
Sometimes these car accidents are caused by the negligence of another driver, leaving you as the victim. It seems like with more vehicles, bad roads, construction sites, texting, distracted driving, and alcohol, these accidents will only increase.
In addition to the emotional shock that car accidents cause, car accidents can also result in major injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury or TBI, spinal cord injuries, or even death. Injuries from an auto accident can be devastating, producing physical pain and suffering, and may have a long-term financial impact.
If the accident resulted in a death, family members of the deceased may want to file a wrongful death lawsuit to get compensation for their loss, grief, and pain. In an unfortunate situation like this one, a knowledgeable Tampa car accident attorney from Fernandez & Hernandez Law can help.
What is considered negligence in an auto accident?
The following factors may be considered negligence in an auto accident:
- The Driving Speed: A person driving either too fast or too slow may cause an accident.
- Drunk Driving (DUI)
- Failure to observe traffic ordinances such as stop signs, red traffic lights, and other traffic signs
- Reckless or careless driving
- Failure to use headlights
- Text messaging or talking on a cell phone
Safe Driving Tips
With all of the traffic and tourists in Tampa, Florida, trying to avoid auto accidents can be difficult. Practicing safe driving can greatly decrease your chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Below are some safe driving tips that every driver should be aware of:
- Always be alert!—avoid driving when tired to keep from dozing off at the wheel and losing control of your vehicle.
- Maintain your focus, without a cell phone—people who talk on cell phones while driving are four times more likely to have an accident.
- Be aware of severe weather conditions!—Florida is known for its unpredictable weather. Sudden weather changes have the potential of making driving conditions difficult.
- Avoid driving in heavy storms and be cautious of high winds. If you must drive, decrease your speed.
- Drive slow in foggy weather, keep your lights on low beam and be wary of vehicles and pedestrians that you may not be able to see.
- Always use your turn signals.
- Avoid tailgating— In the event that a car has to stop suddenly, driving too closely behind a vehicle can result in a rear-end collision.
- Try not to cut in front of vehicles—cutting in front of vehicles can cause serious and sometimes fatal auto accidents.
- Avoid driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol—alcohol impairs one’s ability to make split-second decisions and can negatively affect one’s ability to judge distances when driving.
- Be aware of other cars on the road—while you may be practicing safe driving, other drivers may not. It is important that you always remember you are not the only car on the road.
Unfortunately, even the safest drivers may find themselves involved in an auto accident. If that driver is you, or a loved one, call us at 813.755.9500 and consider it done. Contact our Tampa car accident lawyers for a no-cost evaluation of your case.
What is Florida’s ‘No-Fault’ Law?
Florida drivers (except motorcyclists) are required to carry car insurance, but what do these insurance plans actually cover? Florida Statute § 627.730, commonly referred to as the ‘No-Fault’ Law, controls auto accidents in the State of Florida.
This law provides that if you are involved in an auto accident your insurance company will cover your medical bills and lost wages up to a certain amount, regardless of who was at fault. If the other party was at fault and caused the car accident, you may only sue them if you meet certain threshold requirements.
These requirements include but are not limited to, significant or permanent loss of a major bodily function, disfigurement or significant scarring, some forms of permanent injury or death. (Florida Statute § 627.737(2)).
Bodily injury coverage is optional in Florida. Say you or a loved one are injured in a car accident and the at-fault driver does not carry any auto insurance or has insufficient coverage. In that case, having uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage can protect you.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) bodily injury coverage can cover different expenses including, but not limited to medical bills and lost wages. UM, coverage is highly recommended and drivers should be sure that each car in their household is covered.
What Should You Do If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident in Tampa?
Whether you are a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, being involved in an auto accident is a traumatic, life-altering event. In a split-second, victims are faced with issues including:
- mounting medical bills,
- questions concerning liability,
- property damage, and
- the prospect of legal action against those who caused the car accident.
Accidents may be so severe that drivers may face vehicular manslaughter charges. Hiring an attorney can make the legal process run much more smoothly for you.
What to do after a Tampa car accident?
- Try to get the contact information from anyone that was involved or witnessed the auto accident.
- Collect the insurance information from all parties involved in the car accident. This includes insurance companies and insurance policy numbers.
- Collect the vehicle information of all the vehicles involved in the accident.
- Take photographs or draw a diagram of the accident scene and write a detailed description of the auto accident. This can be helpful when proving your accident claim.
- Call the Police, and make sure to get a copy of the police report.
- See a doctor (if injured) within 14-days of the accident or lose the benefits you pay for.
- Even if you feel alright or you do not believe that you need a doctor, keep in mind that some injuries take time to present themselves. The Florida auto accident attorneys at Fernandez & Hernandez Law advise all of our clients to see a physician as soon as possible after an auto accident.
- Keep track of your losses.
- If you are unable to attend work, make note of how many days you have missed. Keep a log of all extra expenses you’ve had to cover for any injuries and save all of your medical bills.
- Contact a Florida Auto Accident Lawyer at Martin Hernandez PA Law.
The Tampa auto accident attorneys at Fernandez & Hernandez Law are well versed in the process of making and managing an auto accident claim. Do not call just any car accident attorney in Florida; contact Fernandez & Hernandez Law.
Call us and consider it done. We can be reached at our offices 7 days a week at 813.755.9500. You may also visit us online to get started with your free consultation today.
Contact Auto Accident Attorney Martin J Hernandez at 813.755.9500.
Many personal injury law firms only take cases in which fault is clear and there is a catastrophic injury due to a car accident. Basically, they only pick the ‘low hanging fruit.’ This is not the case with Martin Hernandez.
Whether your case involves serious damages or is a relatively minor fender-bender, a Tampa auto injury attorney from our law firm is available and able to assist you. Our Law Firm’s philosophy is that no case is too small or too complex and that every client deserves the very best representation.
Our personal injury team has handled thousands of auto accident cases involving injuries and has the experience to help you and to work towards seeking maximum recovery for your damages. Call us at 813.755.9500 or visit us online and consider it done.