3002 W. Kennedy Blvd.

Tampa, Florida 33609

(813) 755-9500

Text or call us anytime!

Always Open

We're here for you 24/7

Why Does It Take so Long for Florida Highway Patrol to Respond to an Accident?

If you have been involved in a an SUV or car accident in the Tampa Bay area call Tampa Personal Injury Attorney, Martin J. Hernandez at 813-755-9500
Florida Highway Patrol Car

There are 1,946 troopers in the Florida Highway Patrol (or FHP) and there is a shortage to fill that position. Sure, with less patrol on the roads, your chances of getting caught speeding goes down. But the number of crashes have gone up by about 31% since 2010.

Now you know why it takes 2 hours for FHP to show up to your accident.

Do I have to Call The Police After A Car Accident in Florida?

No, you do not have to call the police after a car accident in Florida. Legally, all you need to do is exchange information – insurance and your name and contact information. This may save you a lot of time, but keep reading as what else to do to properly protect yourself.

What Should I Do Immediately After an Auto Accident in Florida?

After the auto accident, there are a list of things you should do after a car accident like immediately take pictures! This is the best evidence later on as to car positions and traffic and weather conditions. You should next document the accident with photos; videos or even sketch it out. Make sure to document your car, the other cars and the road/intersection.

You should stay as close to the accident as safely possible, without obstructing traffic. If you are obstructing traffic, move your car after taking photos or you may get a ticket when law enforcement shows up.

You should do your best to provide immediate assistance to other motorists, passengers or pedestrians that may have been injured in the accident. Take extra care when attempting to move an injured person; if possible, wait for an ambulance to arrive. Notify 911 to report any injuries and call for medical assistance. If the accident did not result in any injuries, inform the local Florida police.

If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to stay calm. If possible, ensure that you are out of danger and not blocking any oncoming traffic. Call or wait for help, and do not attempt to move if you are unable to do so.

Once you have done this you need to move your cars out of the roadway if possible it’s the law. While wait for the police to arrive. You will need to have the following: Driver’s license, registration card, and insurance. You will need to exchange with the other driver involved in the accident:

1 Name, address and contact information

  1. Driver’s License number
  2. License plate number and Vehicle involved.
  3. Auto Insurance information.

A law enforcement officer will complete a written report if the crash involves a charge of DUI or results in death, injury, or property damage to the extent a vehicle must be towed.

If the crash results in vehicle or property damage and does not require a law enforcement report, you must make a written report of the crash to DHSMV within 10 days. This can be done at:www.flhsmv.gov

If you are in a crash with an unattended vehicle or other property, you must make every attempt to locate the owner and notify law enforcement. If you can’t locate the property owner, you must leave a note including your name, contact information, and license plate (registration) number.

You should seek out medical services for any injuries that you have sustained in the accident. There is a limited amount of time to claim for an injury caused in a car accident. Some car accident injuries may resolve within a matter of days without any medical treatment at all. More serious injuries might become permanent and result in some level of physical disability. What type of injury you sustained depends on what type of doctor you should go to.

If you have been injured in a car accident and need a Tampa lawyer, call Personal Injury Attorney Martin Hernandez at 813.755.9500 or go online to contact us for a free legal consultation about your case.

Call 813-755-9500 for a FREE consultation.

CLICK HERE for a FREE Case Evaluation